Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Shunt Rules


Just back from my project on the short wall. Up until now I've had to have a partner belaying the climb. Progress has been slow when the weather has also taken its toll on the time I've been able to spend working it out. Sally or OJ have stuck to the belay task, so a big thanks to them. It helps to have a extra set of eyes and the motivation of a committed partner.

Today I used a petzl shunt for the first time it rocks!!!. I set the top rope, abseiled down, ticked the holds to date, had a good look at the next section and lowered off. The shunt takes seconds to load on a weighted rope. My first climb was just off the ground. With a tentative test the shunt behaved as the instructions stated, so away and up. First bail off and instant stop. I was left hanging looking at the overhang, no slippage nothing. The best bit is I was able to instantly start again. A quick prussic and off the rope with out any hassles. The time saved is so cool. Stoked!

No comments: