Monday, April 30, 2012

The Working Holiday


.

For the past two years I have travelled to Australia to visit my son, where he lives and works as a chief. Its a great time for me to spent a week catching up with those things phone calls and emails leave out. Kind of like filling in the spaces or joining the dots of a incomplete picture.
What i do is i work for my son in his kitchen as the hours chiefs keep are very unsociable so it started as the best way to maximise the time spent for one week. I find the work hard and exciting and illuminating all in one.
 The hard side is the fact we worked from mid morning to the early hours of the next day. It is a life process you arrive at the kitchen great your work mates talk about whats happened and the night before. You then start the preparation for the meals this is the most interesting time you get to talk laugh and see the passion of the cooking staff, as they swap ideas and plans, be it changes to menus or stubble differences to a recipe they are working on all do to the beat of loud music a amongst the hustle of a working kitchen.

The excitement builds as plans are completed successfully and dead lines are meet. Time just seams to go so fast as the day turns into late afternoon when the staff stop for a meal before service. Indecently this also is discussed new ideas tried digested and evaluated by all staff . In my sons kitchen all staff where involved in the decisions even me (my input was embarrassed simple( Yea  I liked it). Finally the excitement  lifts again as service begins and has its own set of peaks and troughs , until the last dinners leave when the work starts again cleaning, placing orders for the next day and evaluating how the night went.

The aspect of illumination is one of my own. Joel (my son) the chief suggested I work with him and i readily agreed. What I didn't expect was how i was to work. I thought Ill wash dishes and was happy with that , what else could I possibly do my cooking is limited to my own kitchen no training but passionate about the taste i want. The chief had a completely different view and I his father was suited up a thrown in the deep end to work beside him. I was shown some task once then expected to complete to his exacting expectations. The pressure was huge, how could he expect me to complete tasks people train for years and still fail.

Later that night actually much later, as chiefs once all tasks are complete what do they do , they go out for dinner.  We sat down to eat at 2.30 am in china town. After a meal and a drink, in bed i lay there my head spinning from the past 15 hours i got to thinking what makes people who they are?  I was still in shock as to what Joel had had me do in a working kitchen. I was thinking did he trust me, did he think I was better than what I really am? He had unwittingly turned the table on me.

When Joel was just a young boy he  too worked with me, for the same reason if he didn't work with me his time with me was limited. I too expected him to carry out adult  tasks unaided.  I enjoyed working with him as he was fast on the uptake and could be trusted to complete any task I set him. In retrospect I expected a lot from a young boy.  Did this shape the man he is now and is it true "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree"? 

No comments: