Sunday, March 17, 2013

Its getting dry down here.

The driest summer in fifteen years here in good old Wellington. We have a total fire ban and now a complete ban on using any water outside.It reminds me of how summers used to be when I was a child. long still hot days and warm nights.

What I've found is how an increase in a few degrees of temperature  affects the way you live. I suppose it is an obvious spin off but I have to keep pinching myself when I go to close the back door late in the evening and find myself drawn out into the warm darkness. I stand on my deck and the world is alive with insects I haven't heard in years crickets for one. I look up and relive that childhood marvellous moment of millions of stars lighting the sky. You can't buy moments like this for they cost nothing but time. They deserve to be lived  to the fullest. During the day and night you just do, not making mental adjustments to compensate for the conditions as you do when it is cold. I go out for the evening and don't have to take warm clothing, I walk from the movie theatre to my car and it is pleasant. I go for a ride on my bike and just leave, then return in the same clothing. We adapt so quickly us humans.

The thrill is called living in the moment. Not thinking about before, not thinking about what if, but just being in the present and all it has to offer.

No comments: